Autoimmune diseases arise when the body actually attacks its own cells. Sometimes a specific organ is the target of the attack such as the thyroid gland (Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis or Graves Disease) or the joints (Rheumatoid Arthritis) or the intestines (Celiac Disease). In other cases the attack is on a bodily system such as the connective tissues system (Lupus).
- More than 50 million Americans suffer with autoimmune disease-that is one in every five!
- 75% of these 50 million sufferers are women.
Conventional medicine treats autoimmune diseases with steroids and medications that suppress the immune system. At Restore Health Center we take a different approach to autoimmune conditions. Rather than suppress the immune response with drugs, we use natural treatments to support and modulate the immune system.
What Can Trigger Autoimmune Disease?
The root cause of all autoimmune conditions is systemic inflammation. Your body is fighting something — an infection, a toxin, an allergen, a food or the stress response — and somehow it redirects its hostile attack on your joints, your brain, your thyroid, your gut, your skin, or sometimes your whole body. Here is a summary of typical sources of inflammation:
- Chronic stress
- Environmental toxin exposure
- Viral/Bacterial/Parasite infections
- Compromised gut health
- Hormone Imbalances
- Gluten and other food allergies
- Vitamin D deficiency (Vitamin D3 is support immune health)
- Poor blood sugar regulation (Hyper or Hypoglycemia)
One of the above triggers alone usually does not cause autoimmune disease. Rather, it is a combination of triggers that causes the body to attack itself.
How do we Prevent and Restore?
Our approach is multifaceted which, we believe, makes us so successful in treating this often debilitating disease. We will:
- Remove any autoimmune triggers such as inflammatory foods and environmental toxins
- Reduce any inflammation and tissue damage caused by your immune system
- Restore healthy gut function
- Correct nutritional deficiencies caused by intestinal mal-absorption
- Balance sex and adrenal hormones
Patient Example: A nine-year-old girl was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. She had none of the typical symptoms. Because we know that there is a distinct correlation between Gluten Intolerance and Autoimmune Disease we immediately performed additional lab testing. They confirmed our suspicion of Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (her body was attacking her thyroid). We are happy to report that, now 6 months later, her autoimmune disease has been corrected with a gluten-free diet, Vitamin D3 and Omega-3 supplementation, and natural thyroid hormone (T4/T3).
It makes us wonder how many children are suffering from undiagnosed autoimmune disease. We just do not think it can happen to children. But unfortunately it does.
Please call us at (888) 744-4091 if you or your loved ones are suffering from autoimmune disease. We can help.